Old 07-30-18, 09:58 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by CanoeU92
I really like my Vaya, and I regularly ride it on the roads as well as on the trails. I have the itch for another bike, and knowing that I already ride my Vaya year round made me think about when I would not ride it. I would not ride it in the snow, and I would not ride it on the trail right after a heavy rain. That is what drives me to ask the question: Should I be looking for a mountain bike with the "plus" dimension that the LBS describes (either 27.5 or 19 x 3 inches) or should I just go buy a fat bike? And, as described above, the LBS does not have a bike of either type in the price range that I am considering (< $1000).
Ok. I get what you’re saying. If it were me, I’d go Plus. IMO, Fat Bikes are pretty much a one trick pony. Ok, maybe two; sand and snow. The Plus can handle the conditions you described and more, while being at least a little more practical. I mean, if the novelty wore off of a Plus, you can run 2.x tires and still have fun with it.

Not it to get all preachy on you, but you might wanna ditch the idea of trail riding “right after a heavy rain.” That’s how trails get ruined, or a least damaged to the point of needing intervention. At least that’s how it is around my neck of the woods, maybe your situation is different. Jus’ sayin’. End of sermon.

-Kedosto