Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by HazardBiker
Agreed.

Being on a budget I got creative.

For the front I found a very bright LED flashlight powered by 3 'D' cells. It has a pretty quick strobe mode which I always use. At night I can see it reflecting off street signs a good 1/4 mile in front of me. I used hose clamps to mount it to my handle bars.

For the rear, it's DIY. I have an electronics background and re-purposed an old LED based art project to make a light bar. It has changing flash patterns in multiple colors. It's like a miniature version of an emergency vehicle's light bar. I've had several people pull up next to me at stops and ask where I got it and/or mentioned how visible I am. I've also gotten quite a few compliments from police officers when I'm having talks with them. I am in the process of designing a more refined version with an eye towards commercializing it.

Brian
One of my customers picked up a great LED flashlight at Lowe's, he got several of them for under $10 apiece. Uses them on a couple of bikes with front racks, kind of old-time randonneur style. They make very effective headlights.