View Single Post
Old 07-31-18, 09:29 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
You are very right, and there are people who might not be cut out for cycling in an American environment.
I think we're in agreement if with leave out that "American environment" stuff. I've read posts where people in "cycling friendly" old Europe developed fear of traffic for one reason or another. Love of cycling... as well as some fear of cycling is universal... 8 to 80+ and around the globe.
"
Originally Posted by Feldman
What some activists call "8 to 80" comfortable cycling--what I call "delusions of Amsterdam" may not be achievable without convulsive social and environmental change in the US...……..
Once again.... you return the "environmental change in the US". It really doesn't matter one bit if I get buzzed by a Ford F-350 or a Mercedes delivery truck, or whether I am riding on the right [or LEFT] side of the road. That gust of wind hitting a cyclist by a passing truck can be unsettling to most. NONE of the factors that relate to fear... relate to any national borders, or state laws, or local regulation. Even when cycling is used purely for transportation an element of the cycling sport remains. Cycling is an activity. With cycling there will ALWAYS be injuries.... and for many a concern about those injuries that surpasses normal concern... and into fear.

We (as humans) either learn to overcome or otherwise deal with our fears.... or we avoid them. Blaming our internal processes [fear] or external regulatory events accomplishes nothing.