Old 08-01-18, 09:40 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have never tried one. I did a week long van supported trip In Texas in April (it was quite sunny), one gal had one and she really liked it. She also was a fast rider, faster than me, so general riding by a fast rider did not appear to be a problem for her. But she said that in strong headwinds or on fast descents, it does not work so well.
I did think about this, but I ride a unicycle... occasionally I'll pass someone on a bike on an uphill climb if they're out of shape.

So I figure it if works on a bike at all, it should work for me.

And the appearance argument is already beside the point... I mean, apart from getting a red squeezy nose, how much more more absurd could I get?

I have a thin spot (some would call it bald) on top, I just dab on sunscreen. It is pretty easy to figure out where to put it, it is where there is the least amount of hair to get in the way.
I use, but detest sunscreen. It clogs pores and makes you sweat funny, it's hard to wash off in the shower after, putting it on my head it runs into my eyes, and it's nasty how it gets all over the helmet straps and pads.

I'd rather just put a cover on the helmet. And on longer rides when I'm out into evening, removing the cover always feels nice.

And actually, thank you - because typing those words just made me realize I do need to make my cover separable from the dabrim, because either I'll leave the brim on after dark and remove the cover to enjoy the breeze, or I'll take the brim off and need to leverage the opening in how I attach it to my pack.

I'll probably still need some suncscreen on the back of my neck even with the brim, but hopefully can avoid needing to put any on face, ears (and by extension helmet straps), etc. And with a long sleeve breathable jersey I don't need it on my arms either.

Also, to date most of the rides I've done have been in areas offering a lot of shade - rail trails that only occasionally break into the open or follow a road shoulder for a couple of miles. I've tended to avoid things like a beach path that was fully exposed, or (after an experience of taking all my breaks under overpasses) a recreational closure of a highway, and hopefully this makes those more approachable. Particularly looking forward to it for a labor-day weekend event on a harbor island where in the past I decided the lack of car traffic justified a safari hat in place of a helmet at all.

Last edited by UniChris; 08-01-18 at 09:50 AM.