View Single Post
Old 08-07-18, 06:13 AM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts - really helpful, as however many videos you watch about the event, only someone who has done it will know the reality.
Did you have any problems mounting those tyres? I hear that they can be a bit tough...

Hope to see you and the Mercier in Gaiole. It's going to be a long drive from here in western France!

RM

Originally Posted by capitancardoza
Hello!

Thank you for asking, I'm honored

I did pretty well with my Continental Classics 700x25, then at 3/4 of the long route I had to switch on the run for a couple of Vittoria Zaffiro Graphene 700x25, since i tore one of my continental clinchers apart

I had just one puncture in my whole race, on the Continentals.

I think somewhere between 700x25-28 is pretty much good, depending on how much comfort you plan to get!
The wider the comfier but that said, the wider it is, I find it a bit sluggish too..

My choice is clincher since they're easier to service in case of punctures (you can be pretty sure you will get one, at some point).
Don't put your trust on the mechanics at the checkpoints to have a lot of tubulars, they always run out of them!

I'll be in Gaiole too in October! This time I plan to bring my bike fitted with a couple of Challenge Paris-Roubaix, about 700x26/7, they just arrived I just have to install them
I can't wait to try them since they're an "open tubular", so the servicing benefits of clinchers with the durability of tubulars!

Hope it helps!

--Alessandro