fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Originally Posted by jbert240
I'm currently retired (65) and looking for a comfortable road bike and would like to get some recommendations as far as frame material and group set. I'm not new to cycling and have owned several bikes, but the last bike I bought was in 1995 which is a Bridgestone XO3 which I still ride. The sheer number of options today is really overwhelming, but I know I want a road bike. I live on the southern coast of Delaware which is virtually flat, and the only obstacle is the occasional stiff winds off the ocean. My ride is usually 20-25 miles every other day weather permitting and end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears. The LBS and some buddies are advising me to get a carbon frame and no lower than the Shimano 105 group set (22 speed) which seems like over kill to me. I rode a Giant Contend 1 yesterday which has aluminum frame and Shimano Sora group set which seems really comfortable and shifted quite well. I will test drive some more bikes this week, but all of this makes me wonder if anybody ever regretted getting to good of a bike that they really didn't need.

OK 1, you are asking about Road bikes, they are being current race bike style trends driven.. Your buddies are going with those , not resisting, as you may be..

... end up only using about 4 of my 21 gears.
Which 4 are those? A Math Answer; count teeth, express as a ratio a:b..

If you want something other than what the marketing/product managers choose for you ,
and get a factory to produce in volume, to lower cost per unit,

Then you are seeking a custom assembly.. combining various manufactured parts..
from many sources..

An option is to combine a bike built around having a Internal gear hub,
so having a smaller speeds count, over a useful range ..

and, perhaps, getting it set up with Drop Bars, the signature feature of Road Bikes, for many people..
This can be done.. Perhaps starting with a good used C&V bike frame,
of the ideal size for (unseen) you..

a 70 year old guy, who rarely leaves any bike I buy, the same
as it came out of the carton.. for 50+ years..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-09-18 at 12:02 PM.