Old 08-11-18, 04:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked 4,044 Times in 2,622 Posts
Originally Posted by sail
"Take-a-look" taped to helmet.
I won't wear a mirror on my glasses. (Prescription, Frame and lenses cost a lot more than helmet and mirror combined. Plus glasses stay on my face after the helmet comes off.)

I like the 3rd Eye mirrors, the Hard Shell Helmet ones except the clamp was a poor fit to the Bell helmets I used to wear so I made a fiberglass bracket for it to clamp onto. Bracket mounts with two small hardware screws onto the visor. Totally first class. Puts the mirror right where it should be and is rock solid. The brackets last several helmets. I pop the visor and mirror off to wash the helmet.

And my bug - this works so well that it brings up an issue - why cannot the helmet and mirror manufacturers come up with some sort of standard that would make mounting mirrors as easy and good as my system. The brackets I make would cost far less than $1 for any kind of production run. (I've been using them for about a decade now. On my third one. The prototype, a better one, then a move to another, rather different helmet.

Ben