View Single Post
Old 08-11-18, 05:44 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
What's the thing with 26.8 mm seat posts?
Probably has to do with the seat lug and tubing being used on some models, other models are 27.2.

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
This is a very timely thread. I feel the need to vent. I think this goes to how supply chains/economics are changing, how Rivendell design is changing and how manufacturing is changing.

Let me preface my story- I like and respect Grant Petersen and Rivendell and the ideals/philosophy/aesthetic of the company and products- I'm just frustrated and kind of disappointed that I can't get the bike I want when they say/said they can build it.

For the past 10 years or so a Rivendell was a "maybe someday" bike for me. If I'm interested, if I have the money, if it works out- I'll order a Rivendell. I appreciate the steel bike, classic/craftsman/mission style of the Rivendell bikes, I appreciate the overall aesthetic of the Rivendell philosophy- I haven't been into bikes since the Bridgestone days- but reading the Bridgestone catalogs, reading the Rivendell/Grant blogs, reading Just Ride- a lot of it fits with how I ride; how I view bikes and how I view riding- it fits in with my own particular... ...idiom. When the "Hail Mary" thing came thru- I bought in- I thought the company has brought a lot to the cycling community and, more selfishly, I wanted to someday get a Rivendell.

In the past few months, things have kind of lined up- and I decided to call up Rivendell and get an order in. I called and was pleasantly surprised that Grant answered the phone. I talked with him for a while and explained what I wanted- and he seemed to be all down with it. I've always known I have a whole lot of touring bikes- and a dearth of 'go fast' bikes. Most of all my bikes are long- with long 45-47cm chainstays; most of my bikes are intended to carry relatively heavy loads over long distances. Uphill. Barefoot. Both ways. A couple of years ago I built up my "lifetime" bike, my "grail" bike, if you will. It's awesome- it's inspirational, I love it. Now I figure I want a bike that had the grace and class of an old grand touring bike, the "business" elements of an ATB, but a little more "spritely." So I've pretty much decided on an A. Homer Hilsen. Looking at the new Rivendell catalog and the new frames- long chainstays is a thing with Rivendell now. I think it's a cool thing- I've always thought it's a cool thing, but it's a thing on pretty much ALL the models. I think canti brakes are cool- cooler than sidepulls; just the way I see them. I've heard that you can order canti studs on Homers for an upcharge- I wanted that- but, of course, that means a US made frame. Which is great because I've got bikes with the 47cm chainstays- I want a change- I'm actually looking for the 43.5cm chainstays of the US built frames.

This is where things get weird.

After the announcement of the new models, the Rivendell website used to clearly state that you could still order a Waterford frame. The website currently states: A la carte builds available. Grant personally told me on the phone that they still order Waterford frames. I'm really cool with that- Waterford Precision Cycles is fairly literally 'just down the road' from me. Quite literally 8 turns- under 20 miles, according to Google Maps. But he also said they're evaluating other frame builders that can manufacture frames to their specifications and quality standards. (just my thought- Waterford can't do the 46+ cm long chainstays Grant wants- just my guess)

There was some goofiness about my inability to measure my PBH- (several different measurements on several different attempts- and even getting measured at the shop Waterford recommended- I didn't pay for it- but I bought an expensive bike light I really didn't need) at which point Grant got kind of hinky- and I do understand this- I think he genuinely wants me on a bike that I'm going to LOVE; conversely he REALLY doesn't want to put me on a bike that doesn't fit me and that I won't like (and would probably ***** about online). Grant first suggested visiting a dealer and ordering and buying thru them (I had some problems locating a dealer on the site- and really didn't know there was one in the state), and he also suggested ordering a Waterford custom thru Waterford- but the point was I wanted the bike I wanted- A Canti-Homer. I called Rivendell again- I spoke to Scott and found out there is a dealer (Revolution Cycles) in the state - In Madison- about an hour away. Short story long... I drove to Madison- had a long consultation with Jeff the shop owner- and he took the time to measure me, get my ideas, kind of get to know what I was after- and he was really excited about the project and was going to order it and get back to me. A little less than a week later, I get a call from Jeff- he had talked to Rivendell and they told him they didn't have 'custom frame' makers.

The reality is, right now you can't.

I've talked to Grant and Scott at Rivendell, Johanna at Waterford, Doc at Bicycle Doctor, Jeff at Revolution; I've driven 20 miles to Bike Doctors to get professionally measured and then back home, I've driven 70 miles to Revolution Cycles and back- I'm ****ing waving around $3000 saying "build me a ****ing bike." It shouldn't be this ****ing hard.
Well, on the site it does say that you can get a Roadeo made to order but it isn't saying the original Atlantis as available anymore, but they did previously say you could get the original one with the older geometry. You may be right, the long chainstays may be something Waterford isn't going to do for Riv or it could be what tubing is available domestically, or something else. Who really knows.

I'm sure you have already, but have you looked at the canti Sam Hillborne? It really sounds to me like that bike would fit your priorities pretty well. It is definitely the bike with the "business elements of an ATB, but more spritely. It's honestly the one Rivendell that I've thought I should never have sold. In my experience it rides pretty much identical to the older geometry Homer in feel but braking is more powerful on the Sam. (both of these bikes in my size are 650b and the Sam was my main road ride for several years...my friend has a Homer in my size that i've ridden several times. Not much difference between the two except the Homer did have some lugs that were a bit fancier. The Roadeo lugs were a little fancier looking too). The current canti-Sam would make a pretty killer "gravel bike."

Personally, I've been converted over to the long chainstay thing on these bikes by riding the Appaloosa for the last couple of months.