Old 08-14-18, 08:30 AM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ideas for riding in the rain with hearing aids?

I am a hearing aid user, and I get very worried when I get caught out in the rain on my bike. I have a Patagonia stretch rainshadow jacket that works to a point, but it wets through very fast. I can't trust it to keep my head dry in heavy rain, and it is really not as breathable as it claims to be, so I usually end up sweaty AND wet when I wear it cycling. I've tried cheap plastic ponchos, which keep the rain out, but are even less breathable and generally don't have a cinch to tighten the front of the hood, which means that water could get in from the front. A few very desperate times, I've put a plastic shopping bag underneath my helmet and tied it under my chin. I feel like there must be a better way.

Some things I have been pondering:
  • Are there any portable options for something that I could keep in my seat bag to cover my head in an emergency?
  • Why don't cycling jackets have hoods?
  • Is "breathable waterproof" an oxymoron?

PS, I know there is an adaptive cycling forum, but I figured this would get more views if I posted it here. There must be someone else out there that doesn't like to get their head wet when riding in the rain!