Old 08-15-18, 04:18 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
This spring I bought the 5C predecessor, EXP Carbon.The only difference I spot is 5C has the 47-584 tires vs previous 54-584. I'd guess 5C can handle the 54mm-wide tires if desired. Tubus Cargo (classic) rear rack fits well, I also included the bracket that positions rack rearward an extra bit--that seems to prevent any pannier heel-strike problem. Finding a front rack has been a hassle, it might have been easier to order a custom titanium front rack from China, heh. Tubus Duo requires double-sided front eyelets plus the EXP's eyelet spacing is about 1 cm more than Tubus standard. Tubus Tara (std) didn't give enough clearance around the 54mm tires, hopefully the Tara Big Apple will work, though I'm worried that with the straight fork the pannier rail will tilt down some. I may have to construct some special mounting bracket...

On local rides the EXP Carbon is pretty fun--amazingly light & the CF frame does seem to dampen out road vibration a bit even though the wide tires are already pretty comfy. I like the 3X9 gearing, IMO it's more versatile than 2X found more commonly on gravel bikes.
Thanks. Is the rear hub 11sp compatible? Also wondering if they have butted spokes. Their specs for my Podium don't list them as butted but they actually are, which is a big upgrade to me. I didn't realize it until I felt the butted ends with my fingers, it's hard to see with the naked eye. The Haanjo 7C also has Tomcat wheels and they are listed as butted except those are black and not polished.