View Single Post
Old 01-17-06, 12:57 AM
bigbikerbrian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was reading that little hipster thread, and someone talked about how they tried out a fixed bike cos it was becoming cool, and they wanted to know what the big deal was. it made me think about how i got into this whole thing, and i thought it might be cool to share stories about how we all got into it.
i figure ill probably get some jokers, but since were a community (right?), maybe we could do some bonding over our FG memories.
me first. i was working at the bike co-op at my college, and there was a guy there who was ex-SF messenger. he rode his fixed up to campus everyday, and i always wondered what it was like. id never heard of anything like it before, and it seemed like an unnecessarily difficult way to ride a bike. then he let me try it out, and soon i was building my own little suicide fixie. unfortunately, in my ignorance and my haste, i forgot to put a lockring on before its virgin ride. dang near killed myself and a few dozen pedestrians walking around between classes. but it was fun. and from then on, i knew what i wanted out of a bike.