View Single Post
Old 08-18-18, 12:22 PM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
If you have a frame that accommodate > 28mm tires (and plan on using that capability) then I say disks are a good idea. Also, if you are determined to use carbon wheels.

I'm a big rider and have stopped on steep slopes thousands of times just fine with calipers. About the only advantage I see from disks is that I wouldn't worry the same way about overheating my rims (and potentially blowing up a tire) descending a long technical road on a hot day.

However, disks IMO need a fair amount of maintenance. I remember from TV sports events of my youth ads for Wilkerson steel razor blades which would show two finely honed swords being drawn against each other at the commercial's conclusion. For decades I hadn't thought about this aural memory until I began hearing my disk's brake pads rubbing against the rotors--same metallic clang. Unfortunately one can't open up the calipers a little wider like on a rim brake to make the sound go away. It's the most frequent adjustment I have to make on a stand with my disks.

I like my disk bike--the brakes are very good. However, I like my calipers fine also. I wouldn't pay extra for disks on a road bike where I'm going to use 28mm and narrower tires.