View Single Post
Old 08-18-18, 03:54 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Ok! I really don't know what your bike is, but I can tell you a couple things. The main missing part of the front brake is a stirrup, something like this:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BIKE-BRAKE-FRONT-STIRRUP-ROLLER-LEVER-ROD-BRAKE-ROADSTER-BIKES-COMPLETE/183373438444?hash=item2ab1e89dec:g:GycAAMXQVT9TAz7E

I don't know whether that will fit your bike or not, and I don't know what parts you'll need to connect that to the existing lever. These brakes are primitive and setting them up is not rocket science.

The whole system is called a "rod brake." This is obsolete technology, with good reason.

Can you find any writing on the bike? "British made" or anything like that? I can see the tires are English and this leads me to suspect the whole thing is English. If so, you may hit pay dirt in old catalogs-- Raleigh, Hercules, Phillips, also Armstrong, Norman, I don't know what else. Don't expect to find an exact match, but if you find a similar bike made by any English manufacturer, then you can safely assume it's English.

Just out of curiosity...: Why? What's your goal here? Want to restore it? No matter what it is --even if it's exceedingly rare (which is not that unlikely)-- the resale market for things like this is not good. I don't want to dissuade you from whatever it is you have in mind, but I'm curious what that is (and why).