Old 08-20-18, 01:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
Understand, but it takes a little of the angst away when you have a long drive, then have to register/check in and get ready for racing if I already have that question out of the way. I'll ask around before race time to confirm my gearing choice and the plan may go out the window, but at least it will be one less thing to worry about. On the other hand, in sprinting, you rarely ever get a truthful answer (if any answer at all) when asking a competitor what gear they are using....many times I have asked someone what gear they used and if they won, their answer was "the right one"....if they lost, either "too big" or "not big enough".
The diplomatic way to ask is, "What kinds of gears are people using for [scratch, f200, match sprints, points races, etc..] around here?"

If you aren't sure, it's easier and "safer" to go with the norm than it is to gamble on the perfectly high or low gear.

Personally, I really think you'll be able to feel it out in your warmup on your race gear.

It's not uncommon for a racer to do a standard warmup on an 81" then put on their race gear for the organized paceline. (that paceline will give you a feel for the pack speeds). Then come off and go up or down a tooth based on that information gained.

Also, the first race will give you more info.

Rest assured that it's not an exact science.

Once at elite nationals, a road pro was asking around for bigger chainrings or smaller cogs than he brought with him because the pack speeds in the qualifying heats and early racing were faster than what he was accustomed to at home. It was a "game time decision". He went on to win the points race that year.

The same will happen even in local weekly racing.

Be prepared to throw out the script and do what your legs say do.