Old 08-22-18, 10:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,994 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudebob
So I currently have two road bikes, a very capable (and most expesive of the fleet) mountain bike, a low end cruiser and a budget tandem. However, I recently got the itch for a higher end carbon fiber mountain bike. My wife doesn't share the same passion for more than one steed in the stable while I seem very convinced that I need (O.K., want) another bike.

In the past I have broached the N+1 aquistion using multiple approaches:

The justification method: Cycling is becoming more and more the go-to physical fitness activity I will rely on as I age, therefore, this is a purchase for life (perhaps literally) or until technology advances to force another itch (and that would be a medical issue to be dealt with at a later time).

The selfless approach: Having another bike will allow me to share the fun of mountaing biking with family/friends that come to visit us (we have a second home in the mountains where I mostly ride spring through fall).

The redundancy approach: Because we have a second home it is more convienient to have one bike in each location rather than having to constantly move them back in forth with each trip (this is my current excuse and use for two road bikes).

My favorite: "It is better to ask forgiveness than it is permission."

The assertive approach: I still work very hard and long hours, I can afford it, and I have the room for it, therefore, if I want it I will get it no matter what others might think!

So how do you approach a new acquisition with a lesser approving spouse?

Please understand, I know this is a very 1st world problem. I would like to think I am also generous with those in need. In fact I use my bike every February to raise money to build homes for those less fortunate in Mexcio-Hey, I just remembered that one: Charity work, another justification.

'bob
The goal of each spouse is to make the other happy if at all possible. So if you guys can afford it and it's important to you, she should not object. And if she approaches you with something she wants (or wants to do) and its important to her, you should make it happen.

And heck, if that fails, I like the second home excuse. If you have your bikes on your roof, you'd save the price of the bike on fuel savings in ... oh 20 years or so. lol