View Single Post
Old 08-24-18, 10:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I have not done this, but it seems as though a fixed gear would be really great for keeping my pace even, and my pedals turning.

Uneven pace has always plagued me, especially when I feel really good at the beginning of a ride. And when I ride distances I'm not used to, and start running out of energy, I tend to coast a lot, which I'm certain wastes energy when I have to spin back up to speed again.
You will never regret trying it. I was told 40 years ago by the club vets to set my second bike up fixed to improve my pedaling style. It did, big time. It also taught my body how to recover while pedaling. But that first rtide had an unintended consequence. I fell in love with fixed gears right then (even though I tried to coast and crashed mid-way through that 8 mile ride). I've had and ridden fix gears ever since. Now 3 of my 5 bikes are fixed.

Ben