Old 08-25-18, 03:02 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
if the brakes get so overheated they boil the fluid and blow a gasket, i don't think warping the discs would be impossible ... or important, because you'd already be careening down a mountain with only one brake ... and the other had already overheated when using two brakes, meaning you chances of failure were vastly increased.
Getting brakes on cars to their failure point is part of my job. Even though I have seen people catch corners of the car on fire doing that testing, and regularly in my own development and testing get them to the point of smelling pungent burnign smells, does not mean it has ever once been a concern of mine driving around regularly. Just because one can, does not mean 99.99% of people ever have to worry about it.

I'd have locked up the brakes and brought the bike to a halt well before you ever worried about cooking rotors. IMO, it is such a small corner case for most of the world that it is not a concern, and to those whom it is, they know what they are doing already.