View Single Post
Old 01-17-06, 01:44 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
cerewa-the long stem works just fine-it took me maybe 2 minutes to get accustomed to it.The downsides I discussed were just "thinking out loud' to try to figure out what the engineering downsides to the long stem were(mcoine mentioned bad idea engineering).The main thing was that it made it more sensitive to lateral imputs,and the higher CG-things you very quickly adjust to.Of course there are obvious aero shortcomings,but I don't race,so who cares.The vast majority of bikes that are used for transportation are bikes with a full upright posture;the bent over position is strictly for racing-looking cool etc.It is a huge compromise( to safety and comfort) to maximize speed.Now speed and looking cool are very good reasons;if I had a 18yo neck I would definitely go for max speed-looks-but I don't-so I accept goofy looks so I can still ride.
Who is Dahon?I not really up on current bike culture?Could you post a picture of your bike-or where I can find a picture??
I just measure the "stems" the NRS is 11" above the top of the steering tube-handlebar(middle) is 12.5" above the top of the steering tube-my Y bike is 10 and 12".A lot of the extension is the uncut steering tubes-260mm I think.Thanks.Charlie