View Single Post
Old 08-28-18, 08:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Think allegory. Its not seeing a bike as a toy.
An allegory can be used many ways, included that bikes are a child's toy - I've heard it many times over the years. And for the record, I'm offended by that either.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Think allegory. Its not seeing a bike as a toy. You will instinctively use your hands in a fall. If any extremity needed to a cover/protection it would be your hands. I have fallen, and my gloves did protect me.
Not true for every person. My YouTube channel is full of videos of me hitting the ground, and I can tell you that my hands stay on the bars until after I hit the ground. It's likely from years of snowboarding, you learn quickly to fall on your body (tuck & roll) not to try to catch yourself with a hand.

This is a TERRIBLY shaky video - I didn't like the GoPro wrist mount for riding - but you get a view of my hands on the bars right to the ground:
Just to be clear, you can train yourself to fall well. (afterthought - I'm wearing gloves, and I did for every ride prior to 2018)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 08-28-18 at 10:42 AM.