View Single Post
Old 08-31-18, 07:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I've yet to jump on the "gravel grinder" fad. Personally when I ride off-road I want there to be rocks, roots and technical obstacles that warrant a mountain bike.
@TimothyH, @johnnytheboy and co., what do you guys get out of gravel riding that you can't get from a road ride??? I know we've been through this before but I still don't get it
Sorry I didn't see this before.

Closer to nature. Boars, waterfalls, filtering your own water, mountain vistas, etc.

More technical - speed requires better handling skills, riding light on the bike, choosing the right line, concentration on road features. Often a small variation in road surface can make a big difference in speed. Requires lots of concentration.

More difficult. There is no question on whether it is a better workout. The gravel forum agreed that gravel is 1.3x to 1.7x more difficult than pavement. Climbs tend to be steeper too.

Rough like mountain biking but with the poise and grace (and pretense) of road riding.

Wearing Assos on dirt.

Sliding the rear wheel intentionally. Siding both wheels, whether intentional nor not.

People don't care what you ride. Everyone is really, really chill, and everyone is in awe of everyone else' skills.

I'll probably think of more.

-Tim-