McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Looks pretty handy.

I take it that is a carbon fork you have?

What size is your cassette?

Right ColonelSanders the entire bike frame is carbon. I bought the bike to ride on the many trails and bike paths in and around Metro Atlanta. We also owned and operated a 12 acre dog park with trails. I have working dogs who need exercise so I exercised myself and the dogs with the bike on the relatively flat, in a creek valley, trails.

I am in the process of moving to the North, GA mountains. There is a network of narrow paved/gravel roads with tight turns and steep hills at my back door. I have a Mtn bike and the wife has one too. The Mtn bikes are geared lower and have less issues with the steep hills and tight turns. I wanted to be able to ride the lighter bike on the same roads.

There are steep drops offs on the sides of these roads, there are also black bear roaming the area. I wanted a bike that visiting family and friends could ride that could be easily exited. The gearing on the Cyclocross bike was too high to make it up hills, especially when I was riding with the wife on her Mtn bike. Thus I modified the Cyclocross bike to better fit my new conditions.

I wanted to try shorter cranks and grip shifting too. I put a Eagle GX 1 x 12 (32 X 10-50) speed group set on the Focus bike. The 1 x 11 (11-42) speed Mtn bikes get used at the low end of their cassets more often than may be advisable. My Mtn bike has a 32t CR, the wifes bike has a Race Face 30t CR. The 12 speed has an extra cog or two even on the steep hills more of the time.

So far I am very pleased. Being able to shift through several cogs quickly is helpful on tight turns, particularly when they are followed by steep hills. I think I am going to like the shorter 170mm cranks too. I am 5’7”- 5’8” tall with a short inseam. Still playing around with stems and handlebar height.

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-31-18 at 08:59 AM.