Old 01-17-06, 05:36 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by visitordesign
i'm way too light for my height and while that causes problems when riding on windy days, it doesn't affect the difficulty of skidding or skipping. i use clipless pedals. i couldn't really skid well or back pedal with significant stopping force until my legs strengthened and got used to the feel of a fixed drivetrain, but skipping was never a problem. i'd just go along at a medium pace and pop forward and up out of the saddle while pulling both calves and knees up a bit. that would get the back wheel to lift. then i figured out how to get comfortable locking my legs on the way back down and lifting my calves and knees again to pop the wheel up again, etc.

why don't you just clip into yr pedals with the bike in a corner of yr house with the front tire against the wall it's perpendicular to and keep the other wall within leaning distance to brace an elbow to. lean against the elbow-bracing wall, stand up and practice popping up the rear wheel (just barely off the ground is fine). when you feel comfortabe with that and commit the action to muscle memory, try it outside while riding. you should get it instantly.
Thanks for the tips, visitordesign. A helpful description and helpful exercise you suggest. I'll try it. I'm beginning to think that the main reason I'm not getting it is a lack of leg muscle development. I've read many posts before, and I know the whole, throw your nards to the stem, lean forward, commit, plus the pics, but still felt like I wasn't tuned into the actual physical motion. This thread's helped me understand what I need to do. Considering my bum knee, I'm definitely going to hold off on trying to skid until I can rehabilitate it more. But the skipping I think I'll be able to figure out.

Last edited by peripatetic; 01-17-06 at 05:42 PM.