Old 09-01-18, 08:12 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Disingenuous.

If you have analyzed it to this extent, you have gone right past the honest interpretation, which is that some posters have definite ideas about what everyone should wear, and like to prescribe their dress codes, while others find that idea, like your less-than-honest response, ludicrous ... in the purest sense of "we know you are just playing." So are the rest of us.

it's ludicrous.
Not sure what's ludicrous about these arguments. Tiresome, maybe, but not ludicrous, and if the following is tiresome, I hope you'll pardon me.

Actually, I'm not sure why so many people are so certain that those who have an opinion of what's right and wrong here "like to prescribe their dress codes." Making observations about what one thinks is right or wrong is not the same thing as telling people what to do. But I think some people really do want confirmation that what they are doing is OK, and just get upset when someone who's put more thought into the issue suggests that it isn't.

I really don't believe there is half as much disagreement about aesthetic matters as anyone has suggested so far. Where the disagreement occurs is over how much anyone cares about being "right or wrong" in any particular way, and what people see as appropriate. I say this because, given contrasting examples - a clean jersey and a dirty one, a garish one and a plain one, a daring one and a modest one, a neatly-constructed one and a shoddy one and so forth, I'm sure everyone would agree which one was which. Now, while it may be easy to agree on these simple aesthetic judgments, the first source of disagreement is over whether it's appropriate in any case to be one or the other. For example, sometimes it seems daring is preferred to modest, and one might make an argument for the appropriateness of garish over plain. And while most of the time, everyone would agree that clean and neatly-constructed are preferable to the alternative, sometimes the context, not preference, will dictate which it will be.

However, a lot of people are simply indifferent - maybe even most people most of the time. Now, if these people really don't care and don't pay attention to aesthetics, that's fine, but if someone says they're "doing it wrong," they can't argue - they can't claim to be right about something they don't bother to think about or pay attention to. Quite frankly, such criticisms shouldn't even register, which is why I thought @TXCiclista was spot on with his comment about all the "worrying"