View Single Post
Old 09-02-18, 01:51 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
I'm only 54 - and on most of my group rides that's about average. Quite a few of my friends are 60+. These are not 'old man' rides, but just the local open groups. Occasionally there's a junior from a development team or something, but not that many.

I like riding with others - competition brings out the best in me & there is also safety in numbers. However, lately I've found that I prefer to be either on the front or rear of a ride, seldom in the middle. Too much squirrely stuff goes on, even with experienced riders. My Sunday ride is the best - just a small group of friends that I've known for years and really trust.

I do find myself solo a lot, too. But that's not always by choice (!)

Originally Posted by McBTC
Going further faster with less effort seems possible in a group since so much effort is saved by drafting-- but then, don't you have to go further and ride longer to get the same workout riding solo?

Solo is very good as can be group riding with a good group. Riders who are not "squirrelly" makes for fun/faster-distances/speeds. Challenging myself to hang on can be invigorating as well as revealing. Getting my heart to beat faster, breathing to increase in frequency and intensity, to affect a heightening of neuron activity helps to temporarily release the bonds of aging that inevitably become apparent upon rising every morning being 68yo.

At 76 miles into my ride yesterday I joined the Saturday LBS group at their 3 mile mark. Immediately I was thrust into the 22/26mph paceline flow with the acceptance of all younger riders as they happily greeting me when they rode by. Only being able to hang on off the rear, somebody has to be the caboose, I did so for 10 miles then went back to my solo status. That short but intense effort supplied the "icing on the cake" for an otherwise lackluster 125 mile morning ride.