Old 09-05-18, 12:00 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Have you seen the stuff on fitting SMPs by Steve Hogg, Colby Pearce, and albacicli.com? The front-back tilt angle on the SMPs can be critical. I've got a 2-bolt seatpost, and it took turns of a wrench down to 20 degrees to get the right tilt.
+1

I ride a Drakon and love it, but tilt is really critical with SMPs. I mean, critical to the point that you need to be really diligent about being consistent in measuring it. (By which I mean, making sure the bike is level by laying a 4' level across the hubs, and using something digital to check the level of the saddle itself.)

I used to use my iphone and a clipboard across the top of the saddle to check the level, but realized that there were too many variables, so bought a cheap digital level off Amazon. For me the saddle has to be 3.3 degrees nose up. 3 degrees is acceptable, 4 is too much. Maybe my butt is just really sensitive, but it's the difference between endless butt bliss (lol) and feeling the saddle after 20 miles.

Start off with the saddle level, as measured across the tops of the hump and the tail, them make TINY adjustments. Also, in positioning, place the saddle so that your sit bones are on the wider part towards the tail. From your description, it sounds like your saddle does need to come forward, as you said.

Last edited by Wheever; 09-05-18 at 12:03 PM.