Old 09-08-18, 09:10 AM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
Hi John,

I haven't used IOS with the Elemnt, only android.

I've been using the device for over 2 years, mainly for navigation, so I (think!) I'm reasonably well versed on the process via the app.

But... I recently discovered I can bypass the app altogether by transferring the file directly from my PC to the unit via a standard USB cable.

From Wahoo: https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/conversation/?id=0879d4c0-53dd-11e8-8f6c-bc764e10d166&lang=en

(Personally, I wish I had known this ages ago. Most of my routes are prepared on the computer. This is an easier process than emailing the gpx/trx file to my phone, then uploading to the app, and then transferring to the unit! )

So.... if it can be done from a PC, in my simple mind, it should be doable from a tablet. Tablets with a USB connection are few and far between, and I'm sure there's more to it than just a USB port. But there my technological knowledge starts to get cloudy.

Why do I want to do this?

I do a lot of long distance touring and it is not practical (nor enjoyable) to plan a week's ride (or longer) and stick rigidly to it.

When Wifi or data is available, it's not a problem to plan a new route on the fly.

However, I am looking for a solution when wifi/data is not available.

Currently, using OSMand on the tablet I can plan a route and transfer it to my phone all without internet. To load that route in the app needs a momentary internet connection, so this is where the process fails.

It is the app that requires the internet connection, not the unit.

If I can transfer the route directly to the Elemnt unit, bypassing the app, no internet connection is required and my issue is solved.

I then have a unit that will work anywhere, be re-routable anywhere, irrespective of data/wifi availability.

Thanks!
One possible solution involves the HooToo Tripmate Nano. Connect HooToo Nano to your Wahoo Elemnt with USB, then go to the HooToo app on your phone or tablet using the local wifi (intranet) connection created by the Nano. You can now magically move any file in any direction from or to your Elemnt. No data or internet connect needed to perform these actions. This works with Android devices. Sadly, iOS allows only limited access to directories. But using either a Fire phone or Kindle HDX I have often moved tcx files to a Garmin Edge 500 with only a USB connection to the Nano . The HooToo Nano is very small and light, needing only a power bank to function. Please note: I don't own a Wahoo Elemnt, but I would expect it to function as a Garmin device would in this case.

​​​​​​https://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripma...le-router.html

Last edited by sierrabob; 09-08-18 at 09:20 AM. Reason: more detail