LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
As to the passive-arm products, that market is dominated by Elliptigo. They off long-stride models (LS) with three choices of IGH; they have the Arc line, called 'compact-stride', and they offer a SUB, or Stand-Up-Bicycle. All are true bicycles with two wheels and handlebar steering.

I took short test rides on an Arc and a LS model. I was quite impressed at the quality of workmanship. I had problems with both, though, and dropped them from consideration. The LS is notorious for the noise it makes; it's like somebody swishing a shovel-blade through loose gravel. Also there was, to me, something subtly wrong about the way it felt; it was very smooth, but I thought it was weird and I didn't like it.

The Arc bothered me a lot because of a feature of its foot-platform; they're pivoted in the middle, and at the point in the pedal stroke where your weight shifts from front to back and vice-versa, the pedal flops over abruptly. No-go on that one, for me, also. I think they should find a way to buffer that motion somehow.

Aside from that, both the bikes I tried were very easy to get on and off of, very stable and smooth, very easy to handle. They put you way up in the air, so visibility is excellent. Elliptigo has a fanatical fan base, and I'm not surprised; they just weren't to my particular liking. They're expensive, too.
Another drawback of the long stride rigs is that the rollers require fairly frequent replacement if you ride quite a bit.