View Single Post
Old 09-14-18, 04:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by enargins
The folding basket sounds like a great idea! My laptop backpack has a thick bottom, and the laptop itself is suspended in a special compartment, so it never actually touches the bottom. Main thing is to keep it vertical, which it looks like those baskets can do!

Questions:

1) Can you just do one basket, or do you need to do both?

2) Can the basket be easily added to/removed from the rack?

Thanks!
1) You can do just one basket.
2) No, the basket clamps onto the rear rack with a two small metal straps...but it folds up when not in use. (The transverse metal bar in the photonot part of the basket mount hardware. It's to keep the fender from rising between the rungs of my old rack, which is not as nice, light or practical as the new rack on my new bike, but has sentimental value to me.)

I've seen a Bell or Schwinn Brand at Wal-Mart, but I couldn't attest to their build quality. I've had the Wald baskets for over ten years and they don't rattle when folded, although the small bungee I use helps cushion the panels, and I've had to "adjust" the metal clip on one of them to keep the basket folded snug. The mounting bands have remained firm and secure, even after transporting two 25-lb bags of rock salt. Also, I carry two reusable canvas totes in a pouch between the baskets, above the rear fender to carry loose items that would fall through the mesh, when no other bags are present.

Last edited by BobbyG; 09-14-18 at 04:53 PM.