View Single Post
Old 09-15-18, 07:05 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
In keeping with the "How To" title of the thread, let me add some info and a few thoughts for anyone considering doing this. I am a little bit frustrated right now because of the complexity I've found in what seems like a simple operation. Heck, I even bought new bars and this is still not easy or simple. Really, to make this conversion fast and simple, just replace everything. It costs a lot of money* but you have to pick any two - fast, cheap or simple.

I don't think it would work for someone who did not have access to the tools and box of spare parts and general resources I have and especially the additional time I've spent pretending to be,... umm, ... err,... I mean to say, ... the additional experience I have wrenching on my bikes.

When you change bars, have to be prepared for every interface to change. You also may find a need for a lot of parts and materials which you may or may not have.

1. Interfaces you need to evaluate and/or modify, a short list follows.
  • Stem-to-steering tube
  • Stem-to-bars
  • Bars-to-shifter - diameter, type and clearance to access and operate the paddles
  • Bars-to-brake levers - diameter and type
  • Brake cable-to-lever (type of swaged end)
  • Brake cable-to- brake caliper - length, need for a barrel adjuster
2. Parts and supplies you are likely going to need
  • Handlebar tape
  • Bar end plugs
  • Brake cables (2)
  • Shifter cable
  • Brake cable housing (2)
  • Barrel adjusters for brake cables (2)
  • Brake cable hanger, clamp-on type** (for front brake)
  • Brake levers (2)
  • Gear shifter
  • Rear view mirror (if bar or lever mounted)
* Honestly, you can buy an inexpensive, complete donor bike for less than the cost of new parts. Just strip off the stem, handlebars, cables and hanger.

** If you need a front brake cable hanger like I did (cantilever or center-pull brakes, consider a clamp-on type. Inserting a thick hanger bracket into the stack height of the threaded head set is most likely not going to work, as the brackets tend to be about 1/8" thick. That extra height may exceed what's available for properly threading the lock nut onto the top of the head set stack.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-15-18 at 11:30 PM.