Old 09-17-18, 10:02 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26472 Post(s)
Liked 10,427 Times in 7,241 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
I was wondering if you could clarify a step when using OA. Lets say you are using it on a component. What do you do after you remove it from the bath? Wash with Water? Please see my other post here.

Oxalic Acid: parts and frame/questions
...what I have done in the past is to toss the component in a bucket full of water. Let it soak for a few minutes, then rinse with a stream from a hose outdoors.
If it's something like a derailleur, I then either disassemble the cage part and lube the pulley wheels on reassembly, or if a front one, lube the pivot points with a spray lubricant.

Hubs, obviously, need to be disassembled and reassembled with fresh grease. It just depends on the components. Baking soda is cheap in bulk bags at Costco, if you're worried about neutralizing the acid, but all I've ever used is copious amounts of fresh water and fresh oil/grease/dry lube on exterior parts. As mentioned before, don't stick your bare hands anywhere near OA, because it is absorbed through the skin and ends up in your kidneys, where it can crystallize and cause issues. It's worth paying the price for some Evapo Rust if you are only doing some components, because it's pretty much non toxic and easier to deal with. But if you're mixing up some OA to do the frame and fork anyway, it's a waste of money to buy the stuff.