Old 09-17-18, 11:03 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by MegMC
I followed the advice of @Salamandrine and entered my very comprehensive measurements into the fit calculator at Competitive Cyclist and here's what I got:

I made my husband measure my inseam/PBH multiple times because I could not believe it was 32" and my height was only 5'5"! Thus I am being recommended a seat tube length that is considerably longer than top tube, which does not seem to be how most frames from this era are built. Most geometry charts I've looked at for frames like Bridgestone, Centurion etc show top tube within 1 cm of seat tube c-t, and I understand the Italians may have an even more stretched out ratio.

So I'm assuming I can use quill stem and seat post adjustments on a slightly shorter frame to achieve good extension and more moderate/relaxed geometry while keeping my top tube more in the optimum range?

Today I have become intrigued by Bridgestone and the cult of RB-1, and my husband has proposed a plan by which he will upgrade his group set and sell me his Ultegra group for a very fair price :-) not sure about that. There is currently a 54cm 1988 RB-1 for $500 on Craigslist, which I think @Salamandrine posted here above, and a 1989 RB-1 frame - to my eye the only one with a somewhat cool paint job - for local pickup on eBay for a Buy Now price of $429 ( which seems pretty high. I would be willing to pay a bit of a premium for the paint, the cult and the smaller size but not sure how high - also not sure if the 80s RB-1 are quite as sought after as 90s). Also a very nice looking Miyata 912 which is also ovepriced at $425 - how would a Miyata of that level compare to the RB-1. I assume there is limited potential for tire width. At these prices I'd probably be better off buying a brand new Soma Stanyan frameset from Velomine for $350. But then I wouldn't be C&V!

still much research and looking to do. Have not even dived into European bikes ....
I have the opposite issue Meg my legs are short for my height (according to bike manufactures) a 30 inch inseam for a 5'11 guy = long torso and most standard bike sizing goes out the window. The moral of the story is try different bikes and find out what fits and when you do find one that fits measure carefully and store that info away. Not meaning to feed the addiction or anything but I might suggest trying out a range of mid level bikes- fix them up ride them allot and pass along the ones that don't speak to you. And when you have a good sense of what fits/works for you then look for something a bit more high end. Just a thought YMMV.