View Single Post
Old 09-21-18, 11:27 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
They're mediocre because they weigh so much but do not provide any additional strength compared to a lighter, more well-designed set. About par for the course, most stock wheels are poorly designed to meet pricepoint.

The 650b version of that wheelset weighed in at 1160 grams for the front wheel and 1360 gram for the rear - 2.56 pounds. I would expect the 700c version to be at least 150 grams heavier.
Exactly. While the Tubus racks are first rate, to keep it at a certain price-point they had to compromise something and it's clearly the wheels. Last year both the wheels and brakes left something to be desired. This year the brakes are great, which is a smart move IMO even if it's $100 more this year.

They should have upgraded the wheels and added another $100 to the price. With better wheels it would cost about $1500 and wouldn't need any major upgrades. I'm considering the Giramondo and the Kona Sutra. Right now I'm more inclined towards the Sutra because it's pretty much ready as stocked. While the cranks are a bit too large for touring (the gearing on the Giramondo is better for touring IMO), they're fine for all-around riding.

I think both bikes are fine to start out with as general-purpose bikes. The Giramondo needs a better wheel-set for touring and the Sutra needs smaller chain-rings (cheaper and easier to replace than a new wheel-set), so I guess it boils down to intent and preferences.

Last edited by AlanK; 10-02-18 at 04:08 AM.