Old 01-18-06, 02:34 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't see much difference between Helmet Head's version and Brian Ratliff's. Well, HH's is more fully articulated and he probably has put more time and thought into it. If either could explain any core or fundamental differences, I'd appreciate it. But if you start arguing about trivial **** I'll just leave you to it.
You both tend to get carried away about the politics, but you actually agree on about 99.9 % of the stuff. That's what gets a little tedious: trying to follow the arguments over such fine distinctions. Reformation versus counter-reformation versus counter-counter Reformation. Whatever.

It seems that bike lanes are the major point of contention (and definitely not a trivial point). But VC as a riding method must approach bike lanes as a reality. They exist, and we have to ride on them or around them, or whatever. The political issue, "Should bike lanes be extended or removed?" Is really a separate topic from "How should we ride our bikes in traffic?" I thought that had been decided, but apparently the ghost of bike lanes still haunts all VC discussions! Again, I really fail to distinguish the bones of dissention that remain, and I'm beginning to doubt that anybody will ever explain it in terms that are simple enough for me to understand.
Exactly. And, yet, they make assertions as if "my version" is somehow significantly different from some other mystical version of vc, without ever stating how that is.

I'm tired of it. It's time to state once and for all what the significant differences are, or stop asserting that there are any, admit that there are none, and move on already.