Old 09-24-18, 03:28 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding road shoes that fit high arches/wide(ish?) foot

For the last 7 years, I've been using a pair of inexpensive Nashbar branded road shoes. Somehow, I got lucky and they've fit great and caused no issues.

They're a bit worn out now though and I've been trying to find a pair that fits. I wear between a 9.5-10D in running shoes, so I should be between a 43/44 in cycling shoes. However, I keep finding the shoes to not fit right. A lot of them are too narrow or I have issues with heel slippage. I don't think I have a very wide foot, but I do have high arches. My current shoes are 2 Velco and 1 Ratchet straps.

Shoes I've tried:

Scott Road Pro: Size 43 seemed a little too narrow in the midfoot. Size 44 I couldn't latch down the clasp tight enough (ran out of clicks on the ratchet) thus heel slipped

Shimano RC7 - Size 43E - Fit excellent in the forefoot, heel cup was too big - BOA system also caused discomfort on top of my arch when tightening down

Shimano RP3 - Size 44 - Overall decent fitting - Seemed cheaply made though and the sole seemed flexible

Louis Garneau Signature 84 - Size 44 -- too narrow

Overall, I'm not sure where to go. While I love the concept of the BOA system, the ones that have it going through the midfoot makes it too tight on my high arch. This means either dual BOA or a BOA system that only covers the top (ankle) area -- if this exists? I looked at the Lake 176 wide but it has the same BOA setup as the Shimano, meaning I'd have arch pain again. I'm OK spending up to $150 as I know the shoes will last a number of years, but don't really want to go to the $200++ range.

Any other alternatives?