Old 09-25-18, 09:17 AM
EarlVanDorn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone ever carry an induction hot plate?

I have a one-week solo trip planned to bike on the Mosel coming up in about 10 days. I managed to get a $525 air fare to Amsterdam on BA/American, which is unbelievably low for flyover country; train fare is going to be about 25 euros each way.

I’m trying to do things as cheaply as possible and have decided to tent camp (with electric hookup). My planned trip is just over 100 miles and I’ve scheduled five days to do it in plus an extra day on the end if needed. This is a slow pace, but I have fairly severe exercised-induced asthma and general shortness of breath, so it’s my only option (an inhaler before starting and during the ride does help, but doesn’t solve the problem). I am not proud and will often push my bike up hills!

I originally planned to book a hotel for my first and last nights, but decided instead to just tent camp every night. I’d like to prepare my own meals instead of relying on restaurants.

Now for the question about the induction plate. I’m thinking about buying one in Trier or Koblenz, probably at a Galeria Kaufhof store unless someone has a better idea (I can’t order a 220v version off Amazon). If I’m lucky I should be able to find one weighing about five pounds. If not, it could weigh up to eight pounds. I plan to bring two carbon-steel pots weighing two pounds, and I figure other cooking supplies will add about four pounds; so total cooking supplies will weigh 11-14 pounds. Have any of you ever used an induction plate while bike-camping, and if so were you happy with your decision? I've tried to Google this and have found very little info.

ALTERNATIVE OPTION: Although it is not what I want to do, I’ve thought about buying a 220-volt electric kettle either off Amazon or in Germany; this will weight about two pounds or less. Some of these double as a cook pot for noodles or pasta. I figure I could get by with supermarket bread and cheese plus Mountain Home brand freeze-dried meals, which get good reviews. If I did this I would probably still bring a couple of light-weight pots and spices because I’ve read that some campgrounds have kitchen facilities available. I can’t imagine that I could simmer a pot of red beans for three hours in a shared kitchen, though.

Any other comments are also welcome!

Additional info: I am aware that buying the induction plate is an “expense,” but I see it as a capital outlay and not part of the daily expense total. Also, I’m 57, somewhat poor physical condition but not way fat, and have hotel-biked on the Saar/Mosel or Lake Constance/Rhine for the past three summers. I was traveling with my daughter, who can be quite ornery, so we ended up using the train or bus more than I would have liked; I really want to do the entire trip by bike if possible. If this trip works out well for me I might try starting in Saarlouis or Thionville in a future effort. I am packing very light as far as clothes are concerned, so my main weight is going to be cooking and camping gear.

Also: Weather report says it is going to be about five degrees colder than I expected. May need to get a fleece sleeping bag liner!