Old 09-26-18, 08:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
@Koyote I'm a math teacher, and one of my capstone lessons when I taught Algebra II was doing the math on why you don't buy a car with a credit card. Of course, we assumed making payments, not paying it off.

Basically, if you are cash-rich, reward cards are legal money laundering. Bank of America recently 'improved' my cash-back card to a travel points card, and I think it was because they were getting sick of all the money I was getting. I'm in the process of switching it back, which is amusing (if I'm successful) or potentially frustrating if I'm not.

Mortgages really can be a source of unexpected deals, too. For having a combo of qualifiers that were as simple as direct-deposit, a 700 FICO score, and $2,000 in checking, BoA gave me a 3.875 mortgage with 10% down (I bought in '08, and did NOT want to sink money into real estate, regardless of whether I lived in it). That saved me about $40k, when all is said and done.

Re: bikes, there is no way to make small-volume goods to compete with the price of mass production. Not trying to be a jerk, but that's kind of high school economics, right? The $150 worth of welding done on a $4k bike isn't done on a part-time basis by the welder; you need to keep him employed, pay benefits, etc. "Overhead" and "Cost of Sales" are two very misunderstood concepts for many people.
I'm not sure the term "money laundering" applies, since that refers to the concealment of ill-gotten gains -- the proceeds of criminal activity.

I always weigh the interest rate on debt against the potential gains from putting my money elsewhere. Every few years, my wife talks about paying off (early) her student loan debt, which is now mostly 20+ years old; I always balk at this, since the interest rate on the loans is lower than the rate we typically get from our 403(b) and IRA investments. Hell, in grad school, I borrowed money just because I could - I didn't need it to pay bills. But if they weren't going to charge interest until six months after I left school, it seemed foolish to NOT take the money.