View Single Post
Old 09-27-18, 12:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 1,330 Posts
One more thing... I converted my wife's old road bike to a flat bar urban/commuter/hybrid or whatever you want to call it. It is a great around town/neighborhood/beach bike. It is set up as a 3x8 so she can cruise around anywhere on it.

But, when she wants to ride faster, she takes her road bike, or fast bike for her. Even at her level there is a difference; just because the bike setup is more performance and aerodynamic. And even then it is far from how I would set it up for me. But it is where it should be for her.

if you want to ride longer and faster, get a road bike. You will be amazed at being just a little more aerodynamic helps to ride further and faster. One last point. I swapped out the wheels on her road bike. The ones that came with the bike is where they cut cost and weighed an unbelievable 2600 grams (over 5 lbs). Even though the new wheels are not light (1700 grams) those 2 lbs really made a big difference for her.

John