View Single Post
Old 09-27-18, 11:24 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Another lucky aspect of my commute is that while Manhattan has brutal traffic in the streets, I don't take the streets. I take the Hudson River Greenway and need to deal with hardly any motor vehicles, so it's safe and stress free. The scenery is gorgeous and always changing.

So clearly for me, bike commuting has the most benefits of all possible commute modes available to me. I'm very lucky to have it as an opportunity. It's not advisable or practical in other places.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You're implying that the "bike commuting" population may be self-selected more due to the local environment than for particular health/fitness reasons. That's a good, valid point in my opinion.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL [Living Car Free / Car Light] in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities

Location, location, location
Although I go on to say that the non-cyclists tend to perceive their location as more difficult and dangerous than it really is.

You need the experience to realistically judge the location, but you don't get that without being a commuter in the first place.

So the self-selection of bike commuting is based more on misconceptions than on what seasoned commuters want.
Hi @wphamilton ,

Thanks for the reply. My first understanding of that post, on the thread, “Commute by bike? But that's dangerous!”was a seemingly double negative proposition: self-selected (? inexperienced) bicycle commuters choose based on miconceptions (? of the dangers), rather than what seasoned (experienced) commuters want (? perceived advantages, benefits, protections).

I inferred that people decide likely NOT to cycle commute based on those (negative) misperceptions.

You wrote further on that post:
My brother considered and rejected it because of a dicey street and intersections, in the large city where he lives. If I moved there, knowing what I know now, I'd do it without hesitation. Jumping into it cold, with no experience, probably not.

Yet it's a shame that he didn't logically follow through with the reasoning, that genetically, mentally and physically equivalent, with the major difference being long-term experience, that the experience should supersede the fear.

I don't necessarily agree with you [@noglider]
that there are many situations where it is inadvisable or impractical, but no question they do look that way to a non-cyclist.
seeming to confirm my impression. I have posted previously about impressions and the decision to cycle commute, including on that particular thread:
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago. The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

Of course I contend with their fears using many of those talking points as mentioned above ["Once again: Health VS Cycling Accidents" (link)]. One soft argument I read on Bikeforums is that cycling in traffic really does look dangerous to car drivers ensconced in their vehicles.

Personally I feel pretty safe, well-lit, with unlimited vision with mirrors, and pretty nimble on my bike. Nonetheless, I’m totally attentive to the cars around me, and I have a number of safety aphorisms in my mind to keep me alert (link; e.g., “Like a weapon, consider every stopped car loaded, with an occupant ready to exit (from either side).”)

Once though, I was standing on a busy intersection (Massachusetts and Commonwealth Aves) one Saturday night watching some happy-go-lucky student-type cyclists on Hubway Bike Share bikes, no helmets, riding along and laughing in traffic, and I thought to myself that really does look dangerous.
Furthermore, FWIW:
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened.

Also, with regards to “recreational cycling,” actual organizing, promoting, or similar, may entail IMO a liability beyond a personal guilt trip if something goes wrong….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-27-18 at 12:38 PM. Reason: added quote by noglider