Old 09-29-18, 04:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Semi-seriously, I'm relearning to enjoy leisurely cycling.

After being hit by a car in May, injuring my shoulder, I was anxious to get back on the bike ASAP despite the pain. I was in peak condition just before the injury, the best shape I'd been in since I was in my 20s. I'd spent a year pushing myself hard after getting a road bike in 2017, enduring painful HIIT sessions, had an insignificant KOM on a little used segment, cracked the top ten on a few hard segments dominated by much stronger and younger riders, and didn't want to lose that conditioning.

So I got back on the road bike only a few weeks after the injury -- first, on an indoor trainer, then a couple of weeks later on the road. My speed was still good. But my shoulder was killing me after every ride and I'd need 2-3 days off to recover.

Then my longtime thyroid problem worsened very suddenly in late July. By August I could barely stumble out of bed to the bathroom The doctor put me back on thyroid meds and after three weeks I was just beginning to regain enough energy to ride without toppling over within a mile from exhaustion and dizziness. I was impatient but the doc said give it 6-8 weeks.

Now, after four weeks back on meds (and surgery due next month or so), I'm able to ride a couple of causal group rides with friends. Between the ride to the group meetup, the group ride itself and return trip home these are usually right about 35 miles total, but broken up into roughly 12 mile segments with rest breaks of 15 minutes to an hour. My average speed is only 10-12 mph. I'm exhausted the next day and need a day or two before the next ride. But it's good to be out there again.

A friend persuaded me to replace the riser bar on my hybrid with a swept back bar. He's a fan of North Roads, albatross and similar bars, so I borrowed one of his Nittos. Wow. That is fantastic. I can see why he's in no hurry to add a road bike to his arsenal. He rides hybrids, fairly heavy-ish, with flipped swept bars and is as fast as I am on my road bike. He'd be a beast on a carbon road bike, but he has no interest in competition or riding fast for the sake of riding fast. His bikes are comfy for him and he's happy. I can see why after a few weeks on those bars.

Although my albatross is upright with the grips right at saddle height, there are multiple hand positions and I can lean forward enough to use the thigh/hip adductor muscles more efficiently for climbs and head winds, yet sit upright like a citizen without straining my shoulder. During group rides I can chatter with friends, look around at traffic more easily than on the road bike, and feel more like I'm part of the group rather than an individual in a group.

It's a whole different mindset from the road bike. It's more like the reason why I resumed cycling in 2015 after 30+ years away from the bike.

Something about the riding position encourages me to take it easy, although occasionally I need to remind myself to ease up. Usually on the return trip home I find myself pushing on every Strava segment, just to see if I can match my best times on the road bike. Then I mentally kick myself, slow down and enjoy the cruise.

I'll get back to pushing myself on the road bike and going faster. Eventually. Next year, after the shoulder and thyroid thing are resolved.

But for now I'm enjoying a renewed appreciation for loafcycling.