View Single Post
Old 09-30-18, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me
Pretty much anything Rivendell, but since I will not be able to afford one anytime soon (ever?), more realistic would be a Soma Saga frame that could slowly build up as the ultimate commuter/touring frame (I carry everything but the kitchen sink on my commute).
If you want a potentially cheaper option, you might also consider the New Albion Privateer or Drake. I wanted to build up a spare parts hybrid and after a while of hemming and hawing at different frames I settled on that one and have got to say it is a favorite of mine and of a lot of other people who have ridden it. My guess is the Soma and the New Albion are made in the same factory with quite similar tubing but one is slightly less meaning more money to really build it up.

Mine is a 1x9 with XT rear derailleur (8 speed era), XTR Shifter and Tiagra Hollowtech II Cranks with Race Face NW chainring and has been an excellent commuter. Granted I have been collecting some nice parts over the years working in a shop but it was certainly an excellent build that could easily be replicated to a similar quality level since a lot of the stuff I used is older or is stuff still in production so either way you can find the exact or something similar or possibly improved from previous years.