Thread: Helix Update?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-18, 03:17 PM
  #1295  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,237

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean View Post
The backer in this instance says his needs have changed.

Given the nature of the updates we get, I doubt there are any backers on the backer forum at this stage who are thinking Helix will never materialise. It more a question of when at this stage, with a percieved risk around running out of money.

As Belinonaut says, as far as is discernable from the forum, the transfers to date seem to have been for the original pledge price. Most, but not all, are between existing backers. I as a non-backer bought out a backer with a very low order number rather than go with pre-ordering or waiting for the bike to come to market.

I made the decision after reviewing the updates and weighing the relative risks against my appetite and the likely relative savings assuming the bike does come to market. The risk now looks to me significantly lower than it did back then and the savings will be at least the same.
I did the same with my ShareRoller position (although I actually paid the original backer a bit more than he paid, basically interest on his investment over time). He sold because he had changed needs as well - over the 3+ years he finally bought a dedicated electric bike and didn't need the kit anymore. It happens, and rather than hold on and sell your item as second-hand, it can be smart to unload before delivery and definitely less stressful. If I wanted a Helix, I would not be concerned with buying a backer position now - one just has to have patience.
linberl is offline