Old 10-01-18, 03:36 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That's funny. I can kind of see that happening. For me, it isn't difficult to switch back and forth. Not sure why. I don't normally go on long rides without either SPD or clips and straps.

Originally Posted by Marci
I have to say I haven't read all the posts but I wonder if by using toe clips (which I am scared to use cause I hear at least once you forget to unclip and crash-having thinning bones means I must be extra careful.
The thing to do is leave the straps loose until you get used to them. If they're loose, no problem getting feet out. After a couple weeks or whatever, experiment with snugging them up when on a clear road with no stops. After a while it becomes second nature to loosen them before stopping.

FWIW I've never crashed or fallen over because I couldn't get my feet out of toe clips when wearing normal shoes. I did fall over, once, the very first day I wore slotted cleat cycling shoes. Never happened again ever...Must have been the embarrassment factor.

BITD of slotted cleats, most people would leave the straps loose around town while warming up/down, and then snugged them up when they got to the open road, and maybe a bit tighter yet when they got to a hill.