Old 10-03-18, 01:23 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I live in Raleigh near the residential only area of N Hills. Nothing big to speak of, but plenty of 3 minute hills at about 300 watts. When I was only around 200 watts, they were 4 to 5 minute hills.

I can link together other neighborhoods in town and never hit a high traffic area. I'll take the greenway for a mile to connect to another neighborhood to go grab a hill I like.

Start out with a lap of N HIlls, cross Glenwood and then go grab some stuff in the neighborhoods between Glenwood and Wade. Take the greenway to Oak Park/Glen Laurel area and lap around a bit.

I will say, these are NOT your new age crap cookie cutter 1/16th acre lot subdivisions. These are older parts of town with 1/2 to 1 acre lots and lower population density. Those cookie cutter jammed together subdivisions can be a nightmare for a bike rider.

FWIW, stoppage time on an out-of-town group ride on country roads is usually about 3 minutes per hour waiting for people to regroup or whatever. In-town, I average about 4 to 5 minutes per hour stoppage time.

I don't see many cars. If so, they're going slower. Streets in some of those parts of town are really wide.

I'm usually alone though, nobody wants to go do hills.