Old 10-03-18, 04:25 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Wrong. Aging is a risk factor over which you have a great deal of control.

I also have senile purpura / actinic purpura, which just really showed up when I was 72. Thankfully this thread appeared just in time, like so frequently happens on BF. I read the above link and others and bought DerMend on Amazon. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but I tried it anyway. I probably started with it on 9/23, using it once a day. Bingo, my blood spots which I've had for a month are almost gone and my forearms look 60 instead of 70. Pretty good result.

I've also had a tendency for reflux for some years. Get thee to a doctor immediately. (after seeing the doctor) . . . Best treatment I've found: no or almost no alcohol. No or almost no cannabis. Nothing which might tend to relax your muscles. Chew a deglycyrrhizinated licorice root (DGL) tab 20 minutes before every meal (vitacost.com). Sleep on 2 pillows, ramped to get your head and shoulders a little elevated. Have a glass of water by your bedside and take a drink from it every time you wake up in the night. OTC at the pharmacy: omeprazone 20mg. Take one 14 day course as directed, no more. I never take an antacid. For one thing, all that calcium is bad for you. For another, you're just masking the problem.

Edit: Looking at that graph, I suspect diet might have a lot to do with reflux. I eat almost no fried foods, no meat other than fish. I eat mostly legumes, vegetables, and whole grains, with whey protein for more of that macro. I'd rather eat more fish instead of the whey, but it's out of my budget.
Omeprazole is just masking the problem too. It doesn't stop reflux, it only changes the nature of what you're refluxing and isn't protective against esophageal cancer in people with GERD.