Old 10-04-18, 08:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bobones
To counter this, I recently built a set of wheels using Mavic Open Pro UST rims and 2 rounds of tubeless rim tape and I was able to mount my tyres (Maxxis Padrone) by hand without levers, and inflate them first time with a track pump. This is the way it should be. If Mavic UST rims are manufactured to reliably tight tolerances and tyre manufacturers make tyres to fit the Mavic UST standard then easier fitting tubeless tyres should become the norm.
I've never had to use levers to mount a tire, tubeless or not, but yeah, when standards are decided upon by multiple players, it'll be a good thing, the problem is getting the kids to decide on which sandbox to play in.

Originally Posted by bobones
Hutchinson make a large range of road tubeless tyres including those that Mavic brand as their own, so it's not all that limited an ecosystem.
And which of Hutchison's tires are UST? They make a decent number of tubeless/tubeless ready tires, which seem to get pretty mixed reviews from what I've seen, but I'm not aware of any with the UST label. Maybe this has changed, but if not, the fact that Hutch makes Mavic's tires doesn't mean that they make their own tires to Mavic's standards. Frankly, even if they do have UST-compliant tires, that's still a limited ecosystem.