View Single Post
Old 10-04-18, 10:49 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
interesting. never used that stuff. so, a question for ya - in this situation, did you go digging for the offending cause?
Usually, as it is usually obvious.. In this case I had no chance before the air stopped escaping. With a sew-up I would typically swap the tire and not bother to look for the leak until later. I have fixed a few sew-ups, but also sent some to TireAlert which means I didn't have to find the leak at all.

Stan's Tire Seal was recommended highly here. I started using it a few months ago when I went through a slew of flats from roads dirtier than usual this summer. I tried it just to see if I could avoid TireAlert's fee for so many tires at once. It worked well, even on a tire that experienced a second flat right after it sealed a previous flat. The recommendation had been just to put some in all the tires as a preventative anyway. The only downside is that it can squirt out of the valve if you aren't careful. The white patch that can form on the outside of the tire where the leak occurred is an easy way to spot the cause. If it is thorn or wire still in the tire you can pull it out easily.