View Single Post
Old 10-04-18, 03:48 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by fritz1255
Sorry if this has been discussed several times before, but.... What is the best way to deal with a dog that is chasing you? I live in a small town where some folks let their dogs wander, even though it's illegal.

While I think in most cases the dogs are not trying to harm me, a wipeout even at 10 mph would be very bad. The ideal solution would be something that I could spray on the dog that would not do any permanent harm, but deter it instantly.
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
First, I try to out run it. Put the bike in higher gear and put the hammer down.

If it looks like I won't be able to outrun…
This was a good thread on the subject, with my post:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
”Dog attack and confrontation with owner”
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Fill a spray bottle with ammonia, Windex or lemon juice. You can add cayenne pepper for moreeffect, and/of add food color to leave a mark. make sure to set the sprayer to"mist". Carry it in your downtube bottle cage.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This is not a cut-and-tried situation like some here seem to think.

First, there are places where dogs can kill people. It’s called, “Everywhere.”

Second, in rural areas, there are a couple dynamics urban/suburban people don’t seem to understand.

One is the “pack.” In some areas, where dogs are pretty much allowed to roam,the can actually form packs, just like they used to , to hunt…

Some of the fast young riders just sprint away. Not always an option. Sometimes you are tired, or surprised, or on a steep hill….

It won’t happen. Stuff like that happens less than people win the lottery.

But ... people win the lottery.

If you have never been in that situation, don’t criticize others who have been.. at least not until you think really hard about it.

Sometimes there is no one to call for help, no one there to rescue you, no one to save your butt. It is you, and what you do .. and maybe your whole life is radically changed by your response.

I have learned the hard way that sometimes life throws really crappy situations at you. And Rarely do we handle them the way we imagine we would have.

Have a great time cycling.
Here in Metro Boston, including exurbia, I cannot recall being chased by a dog in decades. I think the spray bottle solution is probably the most reasonable alternative to “peaceful” vs “violent” solutions, but seems burdensome if a dog chase is a rare event.

When riding in Michigan, and on various tours including cross country, my successful, spontaneous strategy was to pace myself at submaximal speed as the (single) dog approached, and when close I would scream out loud to startle the dog.

Usually it would react by slowing down, and I would speed up to maximal pace. The dog always gave up the chase as the gap widened since it was presumably chasing at its maximal speed.