Old 10-05-18, 08:22 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
While I've never tried it, I'm not sure the Hotshot will operate while charging, as it goes into "charging mode," where the LED blinks/lights to indicate the charging state.

Been browsing Amazon to see "what's new." Still no competitors for brightness/battery life at the price point.
I just tested it. Both the Hotshot red light and Dash head light work while charging.

The blinking 'charge indicator' light is replaced by normal operation when the light is powered on. (I keep a spare USB battery pack with me for just this reason and I've used it to power my headlight while riding multiple times when the battery dies at the least opportune time)

The real question would be if the light overheats if used while charging. My bet is the flashing light at 1 second intervals doesn't produce enough heat to make added heat from charging a problem. But the headlight in 'constant on' mode it might. Like I said I've charged it while using it in real world use, but never thought to made sure it wasn't overheating. I also don't think I've ever done it in 'constant on' mode while riding at night. I'm pretty sure I've only done it when flashing the light as a be seen light in daytime.

Also of note....the Hotshot rear light works when plugged in even if the battery is removed. The battery is not in a series circuit with the control board. It can be entirely bypassed. So if you were to try and external battery for constant power, you could remove the internal battery and also remove any worry about too much heat from use while charging. (Note: I have no idea if the headlights work the same way. I've never taken that one apart)

My god I love using electronics other than as directed by the manufacturer!