View Single Post
Old 10-09-18, 05:17 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
I get what everyone is doing here (buying and restoring classic bikes). But help me understand why for my own benefit. If it helps I restore vintage cars.

Is it that:

a) Its a nostalgia thing. Many of us car lovers buy cars we loved as 18 year olds but couldn't afford!
b) The bikes back then were very different than they are now. For example, the styling and space of some muscle cars have not been produced since.
c) The rarity of the bikes make them prize worthy? 1967 Shelby Gt500 routinely sell over $1M.
d) The joy of getting something to work? I restored an old Mustang and it was the closest thing a man can get to giving birth!
e) Something else?
it will be wildly different for each person.

not everyone is buying and restoring old bikes, some are working on bikes they got new, others are taking old frames and putting new components on the, while others it is friction only

there really are not many shelby gt type bikes when it gets to valuations....no one is making big bucks on bikes as an investment

for me personally it is a mix

Aesthetics, I like how the classic frame looks, with a classic stem and handle bars. For me brook leather saddles work. That said my latest build has very modern components...not everyone likes or will do that but I get the best of both worlds

Steel frames are durable, ride great, and have a soul.

classic 32 spoke wheels work and I am getting more into tubulars

the people here are good people, i have met several IRL and hope to meet more.

I do like fiddling and learning new things like wheel building