View Single Post
Old 10-10-18, 06:27 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I was riding my bike with a few friends. It was a very very windy day, I was riding down a bike path at high speed with a side/tailwind. And suddenly there is a tree down in front of me that I could not stop for. Hit it at probably about 18 mph. The initial MRI showed the doctor and physical therapist that I had a very bad shoulder dislocation. I said no, did not dislocate because when I got up off the ground, the first thing I did was move all of my major joints to test for bone fractures, and everything moved, although left arm was not very responsive. They showed me on the MRI a huge dent in the shoulder socket where the ball had been pulled out of the socket and then popped back in under enough force to leave a dent. Some of the nerves were damaged too, that was why my arm was not very responsive.

In other words, I ran into something at high speed and went flying over the bike. I suspect that my tight grip on the brakes meant that when I went flying that my left arm got yanked out of the joint to cause the nerve damage and dislocation.

Thanks for that info.

It is easy to forget I guess, how life can just throw these crazy things up at people.

One of my initial concerns was that you were instead going to tell me that just by logging in long hours on a bike, it was enough to wear away at your shoulder.

Also it showed how well built your Sherpa was to survive relatively unscathed from such a collision.